Monday, February 15, 2010

Quilt for my Grandma

My Grandma was very impressed with my first few quilts, so I decided that I should make her one of her own. I have to admit that I got this fabric for $1/yd at walmart, so it's not the most beautiful or highest quality; but, as 'they' say, it's the thought (and hours I spent making it) that counts.

This rail fence pattern is what I had wanted to do, since I only had 3 different fabrics. I'm obviously not very good at choosing fabrics, because I picked the wrong one to put in the middle. When I laid out all my squares, it just looked WAY too busy, so I adjusted...

I have pictures, I'll post about it again when I get them uploaded!

MY QUESTION IS... I have the sandwich done, my question is, can I quilt straight lines without a walking foot, or will that make it all wonky? If the answer is no, I'll have to stipple (yet again).


2 comments:

Leslie said...

you can do that but there is a chance that without the walking foot, and i have not forgotten...i do plan on looking i just have not been to a joanns in quite sometime, anyway...you can but with a long distance to cover you run the risk of it pushing and pinching the quilt on both sides. i can not wait to see pictures. Rail fence was my first quilt.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Yes, you can quilt straight lines without a walking foot. Just make sure your quilt is really basted well. I just finished a quilt that I used a regular foot on because the walking foot is noisy on my machine. I didn't have any puckering problems at all because it was basted well. I use this method of basting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA