Sunday, September 6, 2009

(heart heart heart} My First Quilt {heart heart heart}

*** Hi everyone visiting from the Blogger Quilt Festival! I am a Totally new quilter. This was my first quilt, other than a doll quilt. Since this quilt, I have done one other, which you can see here. I got the idea for this quilt from Crazy Mom Quilts (yeah, I know, hers is way better), which I heard about from my friend Leslie. Who I blame for my new addiction. Still thinking of a way to get revenge. But I digress... this quilt, as you can also read below, is made from all my daughters old receiving blankets. The second quilt I made is totally different, but made from the rest of the receiving blankets and some other flannel I had. I am planning my next quilt to be for my son, twin size. I like the sock monkey fabrics, but if anyone has a suggestion for a cute little boy fabric (AKA, no flowers), please let me know. Or any suggestions in general. Like I said, I'm NEW as can be to quilting, so please don't think I already know what you might have to offer. I promise, I won't! Thanks for visiting, I look forward to checking out everyone else's quilts!***

Why didn't someone warn me that quilting is not only addictive, but also time consuming, difficult and (physically) hard work?! And stressful, infuriating, potentially expensive (especially if you (I) only have a basic sewing machine, no darning foot, no quilting gloves (yeah, I didn't know there was such a thing. Thank goodness for youtube), no 'stash' of cute fabrics, and no stockpile of the spools and spools of thread that one small quilt requires (I had NO idea!!).

After stippling this quilt, my hands (as Craig likes to call them, my moneymakers - FYI for those who don't know me, I'm a massage therapist) were killing me. Probably because (a) I had no quilting gloves, (b) batted my quilt with another quilt, thus making it absurdly thick, (c) pieced the back and front, thus doubling the number of seams thru which I had to quilt and (d) had to stipple really tightly because (a) I didn't know what I was doing and (b) I kept hitting seams and having to turn. Confused yet? Not to mention that I had to rip out about 1-2 square feet of very tight stippling over the course of the project, which was enough to make me want to burn the entire thing. Thankfully, I was able to resist and have what I think is a super cute quilt to show for it!

Other than the fact that it was my first non-doll quilt and will therefore always hold a special place in my heart, I love it because I made it out of Zoe's and Joshua's old receiving blankets and, as I mentioned, batted it with quilts they received as gifts and used a lot, but were no longer going to use (because they were stained or too small). Yes, I admit it, I'm so proud of me :)

I already have a plan for my next quilt, since I still have flannel left from the receiving blanket. Craig says all he can think of is q-bert. Yeah, that kind of put a damper on my excitement.

Joshua had been asking to play with it the whole time I was working on it, but I wouldn't let him touch it until it was done. this is the back

21 comments:

Emily said...

Wow. I must say that I am VERY impressed. I would never take on such a task. I'd just pay somebody to do it for me. Enjoy that next one! I hope it's not a killer.

shelly said...

Awesome job girl!!! What a precious heirloom for your kiddos to hang on to!

(Blooming Stitches in on Madison St. beside tuesday morning and honeybaked ham. Most of the fabric is 8.99 a yard, so kinda pricey, but good fabric. (and very cute)she is also talking about having a class on things like zippers, doing piping,and that kinda thing. They also have patterns. Just warning ya', it is a fun store to look around in)

the misses of the blisses said...

Great job! WOW! Impressive that you stippled without a darning foot! You can use gardening gloves for quilting gloves- tight fitting gardening gloves with the little grippers on it. It looks super cute!

Leslie said...

oh Kim it is gorgeous...i understand all those feelings about quilts and more yet somehow i still keep making them. I just finished a small art improv quilt this afternoon. And if you can make your machine work with all those hurdles to get over you can do anything. I love that you used their receiving blankets...i would love to see some closer picture so i can see the fabrics and colors better and your beautiful quilting.

Linda said...

I have been making quilts since 1987 and I am very impressed with your first quilt!! You did a super, fabulous job. It is addicting, but what a wonderful addiction and quiltlers are the best people in the whole world. ENJOY!!

Mikol said...

Love it! The colors are so soft and it looks perfect! Great job on your first quilt, can't imagine what is waiting to be made down the road.

Allie said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love that you used your kids receiving blankets, what a treasure!

Julie Bagamary said...

What a beautiful quilt. Nice job.

Katrin said...

Great first quilt! Congratulations!
Greetings from Germany, Katrin

Cristin said...

Hi! I found you thru the Quilt Festival Blog list.... well done on your first BIG quilt! You're so brave to try stippling right away! I practiced for ages before attempting it on an actual quilt. I've only been quilting for a year so feel free to check out my blog, you may find some good tips/info/links for fun fabric. Cheers!

Carol said...

A very peaceful looking quilt. Love the busy story that goes with it :)

Heather said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Leslie said...

i promised that i would leave another comment so here it goes...13 comments already. WOO HOO!!! i am sure there are bound to be more. Isn't it fun to hear back from all those great quilters out there? please feel free to blame me for your addiction...i can take whatever revenge you can dish out, girly!! i just wish that you were nearby so we could quilt together. check out fatquartershop.com for fabric. they have lots of great collections. they have a cute set of monkey fabrics in a charm pack, among many others. they are fun and easy to work with.

henny said...

Surprised to finally found someone like me in quilting. I also have no darning foot, cotton bat, etc tools :), so you're not alone.
But look at your quilt...so pretty!!
Great job! Good luck for your next quilt:)

QuiltSue said...

Well, you certainly did make it difficult for yourself, but that is a wonderful quilt, and it'll be loved by your children I bet.

the momma said...

you did a fabulous job! I'm new to quilting, also (thanks to Amanda Jean, too :-)

I keep hoping somebody will want to gift me with a fabric stash - haha


happy quilting!

Lynn E said...

Great Job for a first quilt.

Sara said...

You did an awesome job on your first quilt! My boys do the same thing when I finish one. I lay it out to take a picture and all 3 pile on!
And I remember q-bert! haha!

Diane said...

This is super cute and I love that you make it from the blankets. Wish I had thought of that before getting rid of all mine!

Casey said...

This is totally gorgeous

Christine said...

I too am a new quilter and although the frustrations were great I am still intrigued inspired and can't wait to start my next.