Friday, November 20, 2009

Sew & Tell - Oh Cherry Oh quilt top


Here's the complete picture of my finish from last week, including the cute card w/ little pink feet stamped on it, and the little booties there all wrapped up, and the bib completely finished, snap and everything. This was all very fun to make! On the inside of the card is stamped in pink "God sends His love and joy to earth with every newborn baby's birth." Love that stamp!


Here is my finish for this week's sew & tell Friday (I'm also posting it for Fabric Friday over at Rosebud Quilting). This is a quilt top for Zoe, made w/ Oh Cherry Oh and (a version of... I used a jelly roll) the ORBC quilt a long. I sewed the 3rd strip from the left on upside down, so there are a few of the exact same blocks next to each other (see the 3 right behind Zoe's head, and the 2 in the center of the top row). After the hours and hours I spent laying the strips out in groups of 6 and then laying the blocks out, I was obviously a little upset when I figured this out. However, since I loved it until then and it took me 2 days to notice, with it hanging right in front of me in my kitchen, I decided not to undo & fix it. What would you do?
Zoe liked it. I gave her her bottle and she headed straight for this position.
To make the quilt top, I used one jelly roll, sewed 6 strips together, and then cut them into 3 each 12.5"x12.5" blocks, with about 5-6" left over at the end. I arranged them (almost :) as above, and sewed together.

I'm debating the back... the turquoise is the binding (trying to decide whether to cut 2.25" or 2.5" for binding... what size do you use?)

or this way (with cherries above & below the pieced part). Little boy not included. Only problem is that if I do this, there will be 2 more 1/4" seams and that might make it too short. I know, that's cutting it pretty close! I guess I could stick a milk jelly roll strip at the top or bottom. Input is welcome!!
I used almost all my scraps for the back. I sewed these strips together (the white is from a milk jelly roll) and they are 49.5" across. The middle ones are 6" wide and the outside two and the white are 2.5" wide. I think I have one 12.5" x 2.5" strip left over! Also, with the back like this, I will have just enough to make it 48" x 60" to match the top. I think. I hope.

Also, I have NO IDEA how I want to quilt this. If it was yours to quilt, what would you do??

26 comments:

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Sooo pretty, and th kids adorable!
I would probably use the walking foot and quilt wavy wonky lines (or grid) as I'm not so fond of free motion quilting larger quilts; it's too hard on the back and shoulders.

Lauren said...

I love all the colors! It looks great. I just tied a quilt and it was pretty easy and faster than machine quilting. You could put little ties at every spot where the 4 corners meet, just a thought! good job!

Can't Believe I'm Sewing said...

The quilt is beautiful. It's so bright and cheerful!

Dee said...

First of all...love your post! This week's finish is fabulous and yes, I would like the little boy to be included...by only on his bad days, so you can have a break and most kids get happy when they have a new place, filled with other boys and lots of toys to play with!

If it bothers you, rip out the row and fix the strip...if not, leave it. Zoe seems to not mind! I love wide borders on a quilt! And I would stipple it all over...but then, I stipple everyting! It hides a great deal and the fluidness of it will help with the geometric of the pattern.

My two cents worth...can't wait to see how the quilt talks to YOU though...

Great finish for the week!
Blessings!

Lesly said...

How MANY times have I sewn the whole top together only to realize that I've mis-pieced or mis-placed part of a block? Too many to count! Mostly I do nothing about it! The fact that it took you two days to notice means that NO ONE else will, and they wouldn't realize it was a mistake even if they did! I use 2.5" binding, myself. It's a beautiful quilt - I love the way it looks like stained glass with the sun coming through it.

ktquilts said...

Shhhhhhhhhhhh. I would never have told. Well, maybe if it would have gotten a good laugh. Don't change a thing, it looks great! I like stippling for these kind of quilts. When I get around to my strip quilt I plan on stippling curlyques.
Blessings,
KT

Diane said...

The Cherry quilt is great! I would not take out the square and repossition, unless it is going to bother you. Its those little things that add character to our quilts!

QuiltyBee said...

Lovely colors--the beauty of a jelly roll! I would not unsew a thing, it is already beautiful. If you like to stipple, that would be lovely. I like the wavy wonky lines because I can do it easily--although I have to watch not getting to close. I have actually over-quilted this way. This will be treasured no matter what you do!

Sara said...

If anyone notices your mistake - just tell them that it was a "creative moment" - I doubt they will cause if you wouldn't have mentioned it I would not have noticed it.

I always use a 2-1/2" strip for binding...

Suzanne said...

I love the quilt and the bib is so cute too.

Sara said...

Well, I like it all. The blocks would bother me, too, but if you don't point it out no one will notice. The pieced back is going to be really pretty. Can't wait to see it finished! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

The quilt top looks great. If the blocks really really really bother you then chnage them. If they don't, leave them. I really don't like unpicking myself. I like the back with your scraps in it. With such a busy quilt a think a stipple will work plus it washes and wears well. I think the turquoise binding will set the quilt off wonderfully.

Leslie said...

pretty impressive Kim, i love it!!! chris says that nobody would have noticed your matching squares if you had not given it away!!! it looks so great...zoe clearly loves it as well. i prefer 2.5 or 3 inch binding. as far as the quilting goes i always lean toward straight lines!!! the new machine has a walking foot right?

Heather said...

Absolutely adorable --both the quilt, and the little ones! Imagine how Zoe will love that quilt after it's all quilted and cushy!

I wouldn't have changed the blocks either. I would never have noticed without them being pointed out. ;o)

I cut my binding strips at 2.25" and I'm not terribly adventurous in my quilting, so I'm really fond of diagonal line cross hatching. It always looks nice and is heavy enough to hold up through lots of use and washings. lol I look forward to seeing what you decide to do!

Michelle said...

Lovely, love the sweet bright colors...if you didn't mention the "mistake" who would notice, beside you know the amish always make a mistake in their quilts on purpose because they believe only God is perfect. Thanks for paritcipating in Fabric Friday, hope to see you back next week, great fun to meet new people and see what's happening with others. Love the stamped card and message and bib, cute.

Carla said...

Very cute kids. Your quilt top is looking great! What if you quilt it with a grid like pattern on the diagonal. Thanks for sharing!

the misses of the blisses said...

All I know is that it looks great... and I totally wish you could come to shop at our fabric store here... They only really sell 100% cotton fabrics, a few flannels- but it is a warehouse of fabric all for about $2.80/yard... depending on the exchange rate. I will miss getting fabric here.

Nina... said...

What a happy quilt! Love the colors! Thanks for sharing. Blogging is good for the soul!

Sandra Schwab said...

What a beautiful quilt, Kim! If you hadn't mentioned that you put some of the same blocks next to one another, I really wouldn't have noticed it.

amylouwhosews said...

I love this quilt! This is an adorable fabric line and I love it in this pattern. I have my top done (has been since June) but I haven't got the guts up to try and baste and quilt it.

good work!!

amylouwhosews said...

I love this fabric line! It's so cute done up in the quilt pattern. Mine needs to get finished too....

Quiltluver said...

Pretty colors. As far as the block placement, I think it looks great. Even when you explained where to find the "problem" I still couldn't see anything wrong. I guess I just like it!

Millie said...

Wow...just love you quilt made from a jellie roll. It looks like your child is very happy with the quilt. Just think of the mistake as a design element. LOL
I also forgot to mention I love Lake Jackson and we are very hapy here.

Jennifer said...

I think it looks great! Would never have noticed the same blocks next to each other unless you mentioned it. It's very pretty! Great job.

Rene' said...

I think the quilt looks great. I would not change a thing...definitely would not rip out the bothersome block...it is not noticeable...I can still can't see it. I use 2.5 for my binding.

Lara said...

It's gorgeous! I love it :) I always do a similar thing. I spend days laying it out, photographing it, trying to get it right... then after I sew it together I look at it and think hmmm... those two are the same or I've clustered these blocks together... But the most important thing is your target audience and she obviously loves it. And I always think perfection is over rated. Just my 2 cents. I think you've done a brilliant job!