Saturday, November 7, 2009

cold case...


Apparently, Zoe and the lady with the bad hair on Cold Case go to the same hairdresser. Not that Zoe's got bad hair, she's a baby, she can make anything look cute.

This is what she did when I asked "Joshua, would you like to go outside?"

Straight to the sandbox, of course.




Zoe got up all by herself...
She was pretty excited about it!Go, speed racer, go
Then back up to the decks... this is what the flowers are looking like lately. I cut back these marigolds because they were tall and unruly, and they started all over again. I would have cut them back sooner had I known it would rejuvinate them so well!

I'm going to take some tip cuttings from this geranium to see if I can have some ready for next spring. The big green plant is the Acuba I got from my Nonna. My great grandmother had brought it over from Ireland when they moved here. **(I should clarify that this is not THE acuba... just a cutting of it. Since it came over almost 100 years ago, it has been propagated a lot since then. My Nonna has a HUGE hedge of the stuff, and this was just one of the many she has propagated. Fortunately for me, it is hard to kill and easy to grow. I would not have wanted to be entrusted with the only specimen)** The impatiens next to it really like that spot, I may try to propagate some cutting of my impatiens too. I have some inside already.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

she is so big!!! having a backyard like that must be a dream

Anne at Film and Thread said...

It's amazing that you have a plant that has that kind of heritage!

Kimberly Tripp said...

Thanks Anne, I should clarify that this is not THE acuba... just a plant propagated from a cutting of it. Since my great grandmother brought it over from Ireland almost 100 years ago, it has been propagated a lot since then. My Nonna has a HUGE hedge of it, and this was just one of the many she has propagated. It is still wonderful because it is from the original plant, and especially wonderful because my Nonna loves 'Mama's leaves,' as she calls them. Fortunately for me, it is hard to kill and easy to grow. I would not have wanted to be entrusted with the only specimen!! Hopefully I will have a hedge of my own, someday, and I'm planning on bringing a few cuttings back with me every time I visit from now on!