(I heard she stole all her deceptively delicious recipes anyway)
My ongoing quest to get Joshua to eat something other than peanut butter coupled with the fact that I was dying to bake something for my little Blessing (thanks in part to Jen) led me to look for a zucchini bread recipe. I've never made zucchini bread before, and I think my mom has a good recipe, but I used one I found in the Sugar Bears cookbook (p. 109) that Sara & fam (I'd link to her but she DOESN'T HAVE A BLOG!!!!!!!) gave us (that's short for the one of us who cooks) for Christmas. And then, of course, I changed it to match what ingredients I actually had in the house, cuz who wants to go to walmart with 2 kids for yogurt and flour at 7pm? NOT this girl!
My ongoing quest to get Joshua to eat something other than peanut butter coupled with the fact that I was dying to bake something for my little Blessing (thanks in part to Jen) led me to look for a zucchini bread recipe. I've never made zucchini bread before, and I think my mom has a good recipe, but I used one I found in the Sugar Bears cookbook (p. 109) that Sara & fam (I'd link to her but she DOESN'T HAVE A BLOG!!!!!!!) gave us (that's short for the one of us who cooks) for Christmas. And then, of course, I changed it to match what ingredients I actually had in the house, cuz who wants to go to walmart with 2 kids for yogurt and flour at 7pm? NOT this girl!
It was good (everything's good when it's right out of the oven, no?) but there are a few things I'll do differently next time. The important part is that Joshua loved it. I made 1 loaf and oodles of mini muffins, since he loves those. I was so glad to be able to grant his request for "mo' muffin" as many times as he wanted. That's a lot of zucchini!
(these pictures were taken this morning. I went in to get him up and was greeted with a smile and "want muffin peas mommy")
Here's what I did:
3 eggs
1.5c splenda
1/2 c brown sugar (next time, I'll use 1 c. splenda & 1 c. brn sugar)
1/2 c applesauce
a few Tbsp olive oil (next time, I'll use 1/2 stick softened salted butter)
~1c cottage cheese (I just dumped in the rest of the container)
2+ tsp cinnamon (I'll add more next time since I couldn't really taste it this time)
2.5c grated zucchini (about 3 small zucchinis)
2c whole wheat flour
1c all purpose flour (I ran out of whole wheat)
1t salt
1t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
3t vanilla extract
chopped walnuts (about 1/4 c? I just dumped some)
it was a little watery, so I added:
a handful of quick cooking oatmeal
a few Tbsp ground flaxseeds
Next time, I'll probably add some vanilla protein powder.
I almost forgot the all important baked-goods-photo. The brown ones have some hershey's special dark cocoa power, a little squirt of stevia, and a few special dark chocolate chips (about 1/muffin) in them. Notice how there are only 2 of those left.
If you have a tried & true zucchini bread recipe for me, please oh please send or post it my way!
When we finish the zucchini bread, I'm going to make some pumpkin, so if you have a pumpkin bread recipe (Rosemarie :) send/post that too!
Imagine that, I managed to capture Zoe being cute. Her hair is so fuzzy, I love it!



1 comment:
she looks like she is growing and changing fast. i have a great pumpkin bread recipe but it is not even close to as healthy as the bread you just made.
Post a Comment