Monday, February 16, 2009

And I don't even like meatloaf!

**a note on this post in case it wasn't clear... I really REALLY liked this meatloaf :)

Craig's been home since Saturday night (Happy Valentine's Day, right?) so I did some quick meal planning for the week (SO out of character for me) and grocery-shopping-sans-les-enfants (grocery shopping without babies - it was a special occasion so I used a little French to make it sound fancier). We had these when we visitied Rosemarie & Fam to see the circus in September.

**totally forgot to mention that I used ground turkey for this**

Meatloaf patties:

Place 1 1/3 lbs ground sirloin in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center of the meat. Fill the well with 1/4 cup bread crumbs and dampen with a splash of milk. Add 1 egg, 2 tsps of grill seasoning (or course salt and pepper), 1/2 tsp allspice, 1 tbsp ketchup, and 3/4 of a medium onion finely chopped. Combine the mixture and form 4 large 3/4 inch thick oval patties. Arrange 2 slices of bacon in and X on the cutting board; repeat with the other 6 slices of bacon (you should have 8 slices of bacon). Place a meatloaf patty on the center of each X. Fold the bacon around each patty. (You don't need toothpicks b/c as the bacon cooks it attaches to itself) Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with EVOO. Transfer the patties (Bacon seam side down) to the hot skillet. Fry the patties for 7 minutes on each side under a loose aluminum foil tent.

Remove the patties to a platter and return the pan to the heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Add Tbsp of butter and 1/4 of the medium onion finely chopped. Cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbsps of flour. Cook 1 minute...whisking. Then add 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Stir in 1 tsp mustard, 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce, and parsley (1/4 cup) to taste.

Good sides: boiled potatoes, steamed broccoli or asparagus.

or go here for a slightly different version:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/meatloaf-patties-smashed-potatoes-and-pan-gravy-recipe/index.html

We had them with the smashed potatoes (w/out the sour cream cuz I didn't have any). Joshua even tried a bite of bacon - he liked it!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Mmm! Sounds yummy! I think I'll try that for dinner tomorrow night.

Rosemarie said...

Um...Thanks, I think.