Saturday, October 17, 2009

Shameless! A Scrappy Hairbow Tutorial





** I edited.... This is actually now 3 tutorials in one, so be sure to scroll all the way down. I got started on my scraps and got a little carried away. I actually have one more that I haven't added yet.***

It's true. I will stop at nothing to showcase Zoe's cuteness! As you saw a few posts ago, I made Zoe a little outfit. It's been 'scrap buster' month over at Sew Mama Sew, and I had been wanting to make some new accessories for the little lady so... when you put the two together, you've got a cute little scrappy hairbow (ok, flower) tutorial!

Meet our model, Zoe:

I made Zoe this little outfit, and we all know that no little girl outfit is compete with out accessories, specifically hair ones! I showed an alternate use for our finished product in the picture below, because our little model was sound asleep when I finished. I just clipped the flower on the outfit (there was enough space behind the ruffle to slide the alligator clip between the stitches). Shall we begin?...
Step 1: gather yo' scraps. Step 2: Draw cute flower of choice in size of choice on cereal box of choice. Cut out each petal.
Step 3: Put 2 layers of fabric A (henceforth referred to as 'purple fabric') wrong sides together. Fit as many petals as you can on your scraps. Draw and cut (or just cut) around your petals 1/4" BIGGER than the template. I used a different petal template for each because I wanted each petal to be different. I didn't cut the flower out as one piece because my scraps were too little.

Step 4: Put 2 layers of fabric B (yellow fabric) wrong sides together and trace (or cut) exactly around the template.

Step 5: find something small and round to trace a few circles for the center. That's a chapstick cap.
Here are all the pieces you should have. I pinned the 2 pieces of each petal together, and the 3 circles together.
Step 6: Sew 1/4" around each petal. I rounded the corners. {6b} Cut off the fabric around where you sewed so that you have about 1/8" of fabric outside the stitches. {6c} Sew around the circle as close to the edge as you can. I did about 1/8".
Step 7: Cut a circle out of a piece of thin scrap paper. The bottom circle was too big so I had to cut another.
Step 8: Pin your petals to the paper, one at a time so you can get them just how you like them.
This is how the back looks...
Step 9: Pin a piece of fabric to the back of the paper, big enough to cover the hole. Turn it over and sew a little circle around the middle of all your petals, attaching them to the fabric on the back and holding them in place. The stitches should be covered by your 2nd layer of petals so you can make the circle bigger than the circle on the front will be. I think mine was 3/4" diameter
Step 10: Pin your yellow ones on one at a time (thru the purple and the paper). I cut 6 but ended up only using 5 for the inner circle. Sew a little circle to hold them on (this time, make it smaller than your center circle will be. Sew on your center circle, following the same stitches with which you sewed them together. Or if you're just that good, you can combine the previous 2 steps into one... go for it. I double dare you.
Step 11: Sew a neat little 'pocket' for your alligator clip by taking an approximately 2" x 1/2" scrap, folding it in half the long way, and stitch along the 2 long sides. Hand stitch (Gasp!) or hot glue (double Gasp!) it on to the back of your flower. Slide your alligator clip in.
Step 12: Clip on your cute baby's head and take pictures
Step 13: Take more pictures...

Step 14: more pictures.
Awww.....


But really... who can stop at just ONE cute hair bow?? I happen to love gingham (and, um, big hairbows), and had these lavendar gingham scrub pants with a drawstring in my 'repurpose' pile. You say drawstring... I say ribbon. Read below to see how to make super simple hairbows out of 'real' ribbon, fabric string (as shown in one of the previous entries), or repurposed parts
I wanted mine about 4" long, so here's how I started. Just fold it back and forth and hold your finger in the middle.
I make 2 loops on each side. One time, I leave the ribbon flat, and one time I flip it in the middle for a little extra 'volume' on the ends. For a 4" long bow, I needed about 20" of ribbon, plus a few for the middle, or a few of a contrasting ribbon, whatever you like.
Stick a pin right in the middle, where your finger was. Take a few inches of ribbon and tie a knot in the middle of it (you can kinda see my knot, sorry it's not the best picture)
Y'all are Smart so I bet you don't need pictures of these next few steps... (1) sew through the bow where the pin is. (2) get the knot in the middle where you want it and sew the tails of the knot together on the underside of the bow. I trim them and whipstitch. You want it tight enough that it won't slide around. Slip your alligator clip through the knot part on the underside (obvs.).
Voila. Clip it on your cute baby.

Last one I promise... Make a cute little gift tag out of your scraps. Can't take credit, I stole this idea from my sister in law, she used ric rac tho.
Make a cute tag out of whatever paper, punch a couple holes in the top. Get 1 or 2 coordinating scraps.

Put the first one through both holes, front to back. Cross it over in the back and pull both ends back thru to the front (I did this about a MILLION times making my wedding programs)
Put the second scrap thru both holes, just back to front. If you started off with 2 the same length, the outside one will now be a little longer. Attach it to your gift with double sided tape on the back.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

this is so great....you rock!! is this featured at sew mama sew? i am beaming with pride!!!!

Rosemarie said...

Adorable! I'm not sure JMS would like hair bows though... ;) I wish I had time to do the things you do. Work is starting to get crazy and it isn't even November yet. BTW, thank you for my BDAY Gift!!! Now, I have to face the cold weather to get the bulbs planted. :) Brrr.

shelly said...

I love Zoe's outfit! Great job! Thanks for the flower tut...I have lots of scraps!

Leslie said...

love it!!! you should make a bunch of bows and sell them or something.

Denise said...

This is awesome! I totally love it. I should make some for my dd. I might even use a rubberband instead of the barrette since they always fall out of her hair! Great tutorial.

Andrea Neudorf said...

hey cute! i dont know how to sew but when i walk into fabric stores i feel like buying all the fabric just because its so pretty..really cute hairbow!

Abbi said...

That is very cute. I love it in the hair but I really like it on the outfit too!

Unknown said...

for those of you who can't sew try clover's yoyo makers they come in lots of shapes such as flowers, hearts circles, etc., various sizes, and can be attached in the same way as in the tutorial...They're so easy I was able to teach my 7 year old cousin who wants to do everything I do how to use them