Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sew & Tell - rice wrap



Happy Sew & Tell Friday!! I couldn't post my finish last week because I want it to be a surprise to my wonderful hubby - sorry I didn't get a chance to visit everyone and see your finishes!

I took a break from quilts last night and made this quick project. It only took me a little over an hour! I was only planning on starting it while the news was on, but was so close to finishing I just had to! Great instant gratification, and one less thing on my to do list for Saturday!!

Here's a little more detail on how I make them... mine weight 5 lbs, so that's how much rice to fill it with


Many thanks to my cute model. Maybe he thought it was a cape! See my cherry quilt there on the couch screaming "QUILT ME!!!" Audience participation please: I am working on getting the tension on my machine right first... yeah, that's my excuse... Anybody have any tension tips? I know every machine is different (I have a Kenmore 385.19233), but I'm sure yall can help me :) Also, anybody want to recommend their favorite gloves (or way to grip/maneuver the quilt).

Here's some good, thorough tension advice I found. It's not novice advice either, so unless you're a tension expert, you might benefit


5 comments:

Leslie said...

what a handsome model!!! i would love to make one of these...but my brain got a little scattered when i read your directions last time. not you...me. wish i could help you out with your tension. i know on my machine i have to be sure to make the tension higher when i quilt and i heard that you can just use garden gloves for quilting gloves...i have even seen some ladies just cut the fingertips off of rubber kitchen gloves and use those for quilting.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That rice wrap sounds perfect for winter weather! I used to have an old Kenmore sewing machine and the tension issues almost made me give up sewing. I wish I could help. I think the 365 days of freemotion quilting blog just did a post about tension. I finally just got a different machine, but there has to be a better solution than that.

Shelina said...

What a nice project, and great model. As to tension issues, I hear wine helps! Oh you meant sewing machine. I don't know. I have tension issues too - sometimes the planets align and I can do wonderful free motion, and other times (most times) something just doesn't work right. I just grab two parts of my quilt, no gloves. Thanks for the link - I'm going to go read those now.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for visiting and leaving the kind comment! I love your blog. It's great to meet a fellow young mother who also loves to sew! :) Your family is absolutely darling.

Blessings!

Rene' said...

Cute model!!! Isn't it great when our kids get involved with our projects?! Thanks for sharing. Thank you for all your nice comments on my blog. I have not been able to respond as it comes up as no-reply. Merry Christmas!!