Monday, December 7, 2009

Keeping Christ in Christmas! - part 2


We've been having fun with our Keeping Christ in Christmas for Kids (click here to see the book) book by Donna & Nick Medendorp. Helps keep me accountable (and presents quite the easy, quick activities) for teaching the kids why we have Christmas, and keeps me focused on Jesus rather than getting caught up in stressful or commercialized holiday stuff that does not always encourage the Christian in me!

Dec 1, we made an advent calendar of sorts to keep track of the 25 days until Christmas. 25 hands making an 'evergreen' tree to teach how God has given us the ability to have everlasting life through Christ (John 6:47b, 1 Peter 2:24a & Jn 3:16)

Dec 2, we lit the tree to remind us that Jesus is the Light of the world. (John 8:12)





Dec 3, we wrote down our favorite thing that God has blessed us with (Joshua picked cherries)(Ezekiel 34:26b & Romans 10:12b)

Dec 4, pick one of our toys to donate (John 3:16a & IICor8:7b)

Dec 5, made a star ornament (Matthew 2:9b-10)

Dec 6, set up the nativity & discussed the verse (Luke 2:1-20)

Dec 7, discuss the names of Jesus & make/decorate name place cards for everyone in your family, and write qualities describing that person on the inside (Isaiah 9:6b)

Well, I don't want to break any copyright laws here so I'll stop, but I highly recommend this book - it's so fun! I'd write the activity out every day if I didn't feel like I was stealing these folks' hard work! I'll try to share our favorites with you.

***If you want to own your very own copy, please contact the authors at kids4ever@charter.net - see his comment below***

3 comments:

Leslie said...

fun idea!! your kids will remember doing all that for a lifetime and then they will probably do it with their own. hard to imagine.

sewtakeahike said...

that sounds like a really good book! your children are so blessed that you are taking the time to instill such awesome values into them!

Unknown said...

Donna & Nick, the authors of Keeping Christ in Christmas for Kids, are thrilled how God is blessing your family through our book! You have our permission to use any of the ideas contained in our book on your blog. May God continue to bless you this Christmas season!

Anyone wanting to purchase a book can do so by contacting us at:

kids4ever@charter.net

Proverbs 22:6