Thursday, April 8, 2010

Blush quilt... almost done!

I have been procrastinating about quilting this since the beginning of March when I started it and the transparent thread and my sewing machine did NOT want to get along. I decided to try it again yesterday and it worked so I just kept going until it was all quilted. I stippled with translucent on the front and pink on the back. I think Leslie and I discussed one time that we both enjoy binding quilts. I like to be able to sit on my bed with nothing but my quilt, needle & thread (and thimble and scissors too I guess) and watch (listen to) TV. It's also pretty stress free because the hard parts are all done, and it's difficult to mess up the binding. I enjoyed it last night and got about 3/4 done! Good thing, since the baby is due in less than 2 weeks!

I made the top with layer cake squares a little while ago. While waiting for my backing & binding fabric to arrive in the mail, I saw this tutorial on Moda Bake Shop and wanted to use it for the back. I wanted the back mostly plain so that the baby would have something for tummy time that's not overstimulating. I think the front would be a little overstimulating for an infant! I had fun with the applique, but my hands hurt after cutting out all those letters!

Anyway, here are are pictures. I am going to hang on to it until the baby is born. I love it so much, I don't know how I'll part with it! Good thing it's staying in the family. I hope the baby mama likes it too.

I linked up to show n tell Friday, even though this isn't completely finished... go see what everyone else is working on! I love Amy's dresden plate and Leslie's 'hooter hider.' Those are the only ones I've checked out so far, but I can't wait to see the rest after the kiddos are asleep.





13 comments:

shelly said...

I love this! I just know that the mom will too. Great job!

Leslie said...

OMG!!! i love this! it looks amazing. what a great idea to do that applique on the back!!! the front is also amazing. but it looks fabulous. i do, i do love the backing

Anne at Film and Thread said...

So beautiful and the Mom is going to fall in love with it. Your quilting looks really good, esp. since that translucent thread is hard to work with.

Lesly said...

What a lovely gift. Beautiful colours, great quilting job. Love the lettering on the back.

Michelle said...

You do lovely work! The applique is perfect, and I love the sentiment. Very pretty quilt! Lucky baby. :-)

Laura said...

Ahhhh! so cute! I love it!

Karen said...

Just lovely. What a stunning gift.

pinksuedeshoe said...

That is so sweet, I love those colors together! You've done a wonderful job and any mother would be proud to have their baby play on this.

Dee said...

This is such a sweet, happy, lovely quilt. I would love to have my little one snuggle under this beautiful quilt!

Dayna said...

Kim, your quilt is really beautiful! I appreciated that you mentioned not over-stimulating the baby with the back of the quilt.

By the way, we used to live in Clarksville in the mid-90s. My husband was stationed at Ft. Campbell, but we went to the other First Baptist. :-)

I enjoyed reading your post, and you look so joyful in your profile photo!

Rebecca said...

what a fun little quilt!

ktquilts said...

Have seen this pattern and loved it!! To pair it up with Blush is just to much, but then I have a crush on Blush!!! Great quilt!!!
Blessings,

KT

Rene' said...

Kim, this looks great with the Blush fabric. I saw this pattern and love it. Perfect for a baby. Thanks for sharing.