Wednesday, April 7, 2010

spring flowers

My pretty hanging basket that got me stung by a wasp last night when I went out to water it.A view from the back corner, for perspective.


Here's the veggie garden. You can't really see all the little seedlings, but there are tons. They're so cute! We really need some mulch! To the right of this are magnolia bushes, blueberry bushes, and the bed I'll use for squash & cucumbers. It has a raspberry bush in it now that I rescued from Lowe's for 50 cents last year. For as miserable as this winter was, the plants did very well.
Strawberries! The back row in the cinderblocks are a few years old so we just kept them to make runners. I think I'll have to throw them out after this year because I don't think they'll make any berries. In between the cinderblocks and wood are the runners we let root over the winter. I've been pulling them up and planting them (about 50 so far) in another bed that will get full sun, and a strawberry pot. I still have a bunch left. Anyone want want strawberry plants? Far left cinderblocks are sage and oregano.
Below: the semicircle rows in front of the tree are a mix of strawberries, and mums & pansies (from last fall). There are 3 blueberry bushes on the left that are getting little white flowers, and there are a raspberry and a blackberry cane that I just planted in the back against the house (you can't see them). The 4 fluffy green ones were here when we moved in and they get HUGE. I think they are Montauk daisies, or similar. You can also see the strawberry pot (next to the soccer ball). I'll put it on the deck when we get rid of the wasps (that will be Monday, thanks to Servall) Can't wait for this crepe myrtle tree to bloom again... and grow more.
The perennials only a few days ago...
And today! I love how quickly everything grows but we need to get rid of these wasps so we can get to work out there, and get the kids outside. So let's see... what is all this stuff? From left to right: rose of sharon (tall shrub), daylilies, chaste tree, spirea, vibernum (with a butterfly bush behind it), weigela, lupines, basket of gold, salvia, coneflower, shasta daisy, pink scabiosa, and crepe myrtle on the far right. Jury is still out on the survival of the hollyhocks & delphinium. So excited to see this stuff grow and flower! tulips and daffodils a few days ago...
and today! what fun!! Did I mention that we NEED mulch!
so excited to see pretty pink flowers on the carpet phlox.
Here's a better picture of those annuals (pink dianthus) that came back! All the big fluffy green things in the middle! Some even have pink flowers already. I just stuck in some yellow & orange pansies because I needed to plant something! To the left and right of the birch are daylilies, rose of sharon & vibernum
Another before & after... this was the front a few days ago...And today!



1 comment:

Leslie said...

you keep quite a garden my friend